5/16/06

Who let the dog out .. wooof wooof .. woof woof

10 May

2300 hrs - tonight's contractions are very different from the earlier nights. It was as if tsunami waves were hitting every 7-9 mins, it make the earlier nights contractions feel like a walk in the park. I was however, trying to hold out until I could be certain to be admitted, having been sent back twice in the last few evenings. Even the midwifes know me my name now ... took my painkillers and tried to rest..

11th May
0100hrs - The last straw that broke the camel's back .. it was too hard to bear even with painkillers, called the midwife and told them that we are coming .... :) again. Hubby tried to call for Taxi, none available !! Gosh!!! Hubby went off to the main road to flag down cabs but no luck as well, in the meantime, I was groaning!! Pain, pain, pain, Leaning my butt against the wall to alleviate the pain!! Oh Gosh!!! 3mins Interval and 60 seconds contractions!!! Not a taxi in sight!!! Hubby was running further out to the highway... Finally got one after half an hour.

O200hrs - Reached hospital, went to labour ward. Did CTG scan. Hey!!! Contractions went back home... it seems that they are afraid of the midwives!!! Midwife did VE and found out that I was 2cm dilated onli..sianz!!(I was agonising with the prospect of being sent back the third time) few mins later ... wah la! Contractions went up to 127 pts!! getting more regular!! Finally we may be in the making for the third in the trilogy - The Return of The Contractions !!

0300hrs With this exciting piece of information, Midwife called Pat- this is the third time, 2 wolves came and past. Hopefully it IS Madame Labour and not Monsieur Wolf. Pat adviced that I am still in early labour and I can either go home or stay. We decided to stay !!

0400hrs- Midwife suggested to dip into the water birth tub to relieve pain... But I decided not to as I was already in Great pain and was no mood to strip and take a tub bath!!! Hubby kept asking me to take mobile Epidural, he told me not to torture myself. The anesthetist came within 10 mins and poked a big needle to my spine to deposit a transparent tube for the elixir of painless labour - The gift of modern science to all labouring women - the HAPPYDURAL !! Glad to report that it lived up to its reputation. I was smiling all the way after that >>

The standard type that is administered in Portland hospital is called the mobile epidural, formulae is the same but dosage is lowered, advantages are that it only numbs below rib cage to the end of the birth path, I can still walk around unaided and would be able to feel my muscles when pushing during last stage of labour.

0830 hrs - Pat came by to visit and we talked about the whole birth process. As my cervix is not making much progress, we agreed that at about 11am if the situation continues, we will break the waterbag.

1100hrs-Verified that was still 2cm dilated, accompanied by good contractions. Since baby is now overdue and contractions are good, we decided to proceed to break the waterbag !!

1400hrs- Cervix opened up one more cm, Jackie the midwife discussed with Pat and it was decided to add oxytocin into the drip to quicken the pace..

1600hrs- Pat did a VE and found the cervix 4cm dilated!! going well so far

1700hrs- 2100hrs - Good news!!! cervix dilated one cm every hour to 9cm textbook style. Phew!! I was really happy and awaiting for the last cm to arrive. Pat advised that after the cervix is at 10cm, we will wait one hour for baby's head to descend and then it will be one to one and a half hours of pushing. There is however, a little problem that stands in the way, baby is facing the wrong direction towards the side instead of head down and looking to my back. We can only wait and hope that as the contractions progressed, baby will turn and dock.

2200-2300hrs No further progress and bb's head angle seem to be diverging even further. I was hoping for good news that baby will turn down.. Pat suggested to wait as baby does not seem to be in distress and I look alright as well for the time being ! Pat was saying that it is a strong baby that we are having after nearly 24 hrs of strong contraction still taking it very well .. we decided to wait for another hour.

12th May
0100hrs - BAD NEWS!!! BB's head is definitely in an awkward position ! Urine was stained wth blood!! Hubby was very worried about my safety as Pat explained that the baby was hitting herself against the bladder and injuring it. We made a final decision to go ahead with Emergency C-section. Hubby changed into sterile clothes and off we went into the operating theatre. The anesthetist came and administered a full epidural and tested the effect of it by poking me with needles and spraying with a cool alcohol solution to gauge my reactions. As for Hubby, he was busy distracting me with all the cock and bull stories and asking me about my plans for the next shopping spree while the doctors cut me up. I felt absolutely no pain just someone messing about my tummy. I was explained earlier that baby will be pushed up, a 10cm incision will be made and the baby will be pushed out..





0152hrs- Finally bb Kaelyn arrived ! Daddy was busy snapping pictures and I was eager to see my Baby girl soon... she looked as if she came from outer space, a funny head and blue hands and legs. She was big .. european sized product from asian "factory". weighing 3.68 kg, length 55cm, head circumference 35cm when the mum is 1.57cm weighing 46 kg normally. This is the sixth caesarean in the last half day and the first for 12 May 06 for that operating theatre.

0300 hrs - Back in the delivery ward and Pat explained that my veins were a little complicated and it took slightly longer than expected but will be fine. After giving further assurance and acknowledging our thanks, he left for the night - not easy being gynae .. I bet it is just another night for him..

0500 hrs - with the help of hospital staff , I was moved to the lower wards to rest, to be discharged next tue, after the stitches are taken out.

No prizes for guessing who let the dog out .. this is the year of the dog and 12 May is a full moon day, no wonder the dogs are out .. howuuuuuuuu !!

The correct answer is "Mummy let the dog out with the assistance of Mr Patrick O'brien and colleagues" :)

No comments: